AWI is Regional Co-ordinator for the Baltic and North
Sea region (west Europe) and:
Alfred-Wegener-Institute <Foundation> for Polar and
Marine Research (AWI)
Prof. Dr Friedrich Buchholz
<Biologische Anstalt Helgoland>
<Meeresstation/ Marine Station>
- prepares overviews on biodiversity research in its part of the
region with regard to all Workpackages.
- co-ordinates (together with the other Regional Co-ordinator in
its region; member 7) the 2 regional meetings in the Baltic and
North Sea region (1 meeting per region per year with 3 parallel
sessions (= 3 Workpackages)).
- provides help to the Workpackage Leaders (members 2 to 4) to
organise their sessions during the regional meetings. The
co-ordination includes the preparation, evaluation, production and
distribution of announcements and scientific/technical reports of
the meetings, following the layout as agreed upon by the steering
- gives, through 2 representatives, input to the 2 meetings and 2
workshops (each lasting 3 days) within all 3 Workpackages, by
presenting information on biodiversity research in its country.
- helps the Workpackage Leaders to compose draft reports on the
results of the inventories and discussions in the regional meetings.
- member of the steering committee (4 meetings at intervals of
approximately 8 months).
- discusses the draft reports in the steering committee, and
subsequently helps the Workpackage Leaders to readjust the reports
and to give a presentation in the following general
workshops/conferences (once per year).
- helps the Workpackage Leader to compose the final outlines,
protocols and recommendations.